[ejabberd] Catastrophic Presence Failure

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Sun Jul 9 16:08:06 MSD 2006

Op zondag 9 juli 2006 10:49, schreef Synx:
<snip>
> Although... wait...  If my server is @domain.com, will my own server try to
> resolve the name domain.com into its own IP address?  Or will it only
> resolve domains for other servers that mine connects to?  In the latter
> case I'm fine, but in the former case I'm in trouble because of a nasty
> Belkin router I'm on.  It won't loop packets back to my external IP from
> inside the local network.  Currently I have my domain name resolving to
> 127.0.0.1 locally, to hack around that shoddy craftsmanship, but would that
> mean then my ejabberd is going to report my IP address as being 127.0.0.1,
> to remote servers??  That would be... bad.

I also have Dyndns and I do it like this:
* server with ejabberd and maradns on it
* My router advertise 192.168.123.3 as my primary DNS server to all LAN
computers.
* When a computer in my LAN tries to connect to devrieze.dyndns.org, maradns
tells them to contact 192.168.123.3
* On my router I have configured a rule to forward all TCP trafic for port
5269 to 192.168.123.3

HTH; if you like to know how to configure maradns, just ask (it's peace of
cake though; it's nearly as simple as configuring ejabberd, and much simplier
than configuring a mail server B-) )

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/