[ejabberd] Problems with ejabberd not allowing more than ~400 connections

Alexey Nezhdanov snake at penza-gsm.ru
Tue Jul 11 11:51:46 MSD 2006

(I have already solved the problem by migrating to FedoraCore3. But I am still
very interested to hear why this was happening on Debian, so if anyone have
suggestions - please post them)
---------------------------------
Hello.
I'm having a very strange problem with ejabberd: it not allows me to connect
too many clients to it. The exact number varies every time but somewhere
about 300-500 connections ejabberd begins writing crash reports to sasl.log
and not allowing new connections. 'not allowing' may be one of:
1) never respond to the initial header sent by client (in this case beam eats
99.9% CPU)
2) port close as a respont to the header sent by client
3) Sometimes even a complete port close

I have tried both ejabberd-1.0.0 and ejabberd-1.1.1 both debian-built and
built myself - that doesn't make any difference - it continues to behave the
same way.
I tried to change database and switched to mysql (native erlang driver) - it
didn't made any sence either.

Box configuration:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
512Mb RAM
Debian Sarge (i386, not x64!) as top system
chrooted Debian Sid (i386) installation with ejabberd (Sarge have too old
ejabberd).

If anybody have any suggestions - please reply. I'm trying to fix this problem
for about a month already :(
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/node/892
The solution that someone proposed there helped to raise the troublesome limit
to ~470 sessions but then problems begins again.

--
Respectfully
Alexey Nezhdanov