[ejabberd] in-order delivery

Sergei Golovan sgolovan at nm.ru
Tue Mar 7 09:28:04 MSK 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:49:52PM -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> It seems that ejabberd doesn't deliver stanzas in order. In particular,
> I've had several people complain that at jabber.org their clients are
> receiving presence before the roster. It's possible that this needs to
> be clearer in RFC 3921, but IMHO it is best to deliver presence only
> after delivering the roster.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that in-order delivery means that if entity 1 sends two stanzas 1 and
2 to entity 2 then entity 2 receives the stanza 1 before stanza 2.

When server replies to iq request or sends presence updates it does deliver
completely another stanza. So I wouldn't expect that roster must be delivered
before presence in this case.

I think that it's better for client or server developer to think about two
different streams "stream from client to server" and "stream from server to
client" and not to expect them to be synchronized. (Except natural cases like
replying to iq request etc.)

--
Sergei 'TeopeTuK' Golovan