[ejabberd] in-order delivery

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Tue Mar 7 18:45:35 MSK 2006

* Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> [2006-03-06 13:49:52 -0700]:

> It seems that ejabberd doesn't deliver stanzas in order. In particular,
> I've had several people complain that at jabber.org their clients are
> receiving presence before the roster. It's possible that this needs to
> be clearer in RFC 3921, but IMHO it is best to deliver presence only
> after delivering the roster.
>
> Thoughts?

It is not really in-order delivery (order preservation of message).
However, I agree with your point. It considerably simplify client
development to make such hypothesis.
This is not clear in the current standard (I might be wrong however),
that a particular order has to be matched on connect. From memory, it is
not totally clear when the client must send the roster demand, or even
if he must send it (Some clients on mobile are caching the roster to
limit bandwidth consumption).
It might be good to have some clarification on this point (Maybe in a
best practice JEP ? I like them).

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/