AW: [ejabberd] ejabberd vs Jabber XCP

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 15:33:47 MSD 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Pieter Rautenbach wrote:

> It's indeed a 64-bit server. I understand the reasoning, but I
> disagree: not all
> ejabberd data in memory could be strings! Thus, the memory usage
> cannot be
> entirely attributed to the use of strings. Here are similar figures
> for a single
> CPU server, having 14,065 users online:
> USER     PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> ejabberd 16   0 4778m 3.7g 1692 R 23.3 95.8 63:00.41  beam

I never meant to imply that all the memory is taken by user contexts,
i.e. data kept per user.  All I'm saying is that ejabberd, Mnesia,
etc. use strings internally and most everywhere it appears.

You should still see 1-2Gb of memory use on a 32-bit machine and a 64-
bit machine probably does not gain you much right now. As soon as
string use within ejabberd is optimized (Summer of Code project?) you
should be able to fit twice as many users on your 64-bit server. I
don't think a factor of 16 (1 byte vs 16 right now) is likely, though.

	Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/