[ejabberd] ejabberd vs Jabber XCP

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Fri May 5 20:02:47 MSD 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> It's not clear to me what you are comparing here, nor what you are
> trying to deploy.

Me, I need to do a fair and unbiased comparison of ejabberd, Jabber
XCP and possibly others, based on available information. Giving them
a good pounding with Tsung will come later.

> it's some kind of optional developer support
> program which not everyone needs, especially given the plethora of
> open
> source and open standards related to Jabber/XMPP technologies).

Well, the idea would be to develop services around the server so I
think the JDP would be proper.

> It's not clear to me where you get the $100,000 hardware cost. I don't
> what the hardware requirements are for running XCP (again, I'm just a
> standards guy),

I figured 10 or more pizza boxes plus a couple of Catalyst switches.
Those run at 5-7k and there's some sort of a management thing that
costs 12k.

> so you'd need to contact the Jabber Inc. folks about
> that, but based on my limited knowledge of deployment scenarios for
> XCP
> I'd say that you would require fewer than 10 1U servers to run it for
> 500k users.

I will.

> BTW, are these registered users or simultaneous users?

Simultaneous.

> If real Jabber Inc. people were on this list (unlike useless standards
> people like me), they could set you straight. I'll forward this
> mail to
> folks at the company so they can correct me or contact you.

Yes, please! There didn't seem to be much of a response to my initial
post so I decided to stir things up a bit ;-).

	Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/