[ejabberd] ejabberd vs Jabber XCP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 5 21:31:18 MSD 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On May 5, 2006, at 4:33 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> It's not clear to me what you are comparing here, nor what you are
>> trying to deploy.
>
> Me, I need to do a fair and unbiased comparison of ejabberd, Jabber XCP
> and possibly others, based on available information. Giving them a good
> pounding with Tsung will come later.

Sounds good.

>> it's some kind of optional developer support
>> program which not everyone needs, especially given the plethora of open
>> source and open standards related to Jabber/XMPP technologies).
>
> Well, the idea would be to develop services around the server so I think
> the JDP would be proper.

Open standards, baby! Not sure you need to join some developer program
to work on XMPP-based applications. :-)

>> It's not clear to me where you get the $100,000 hardware cost. I don't
>> what the hardware requirements are for running XCP (again, I'm just a
>> standards guy),
>
> I figured 10 or more pizza boxes plus a couple of Catalyst switches.
> Those run at 5-7k and there's some sort of a management thing that costs
> 12k.

Those numbers sound like overkill based on what I know.

>> If real Jabber Inc. people were on this list (unlike useless standards
>> people like me), they could set you straight. I'll forward this mail to
>> folks at the company so they can correct me or contact you.
>
> Yes, please! There didn't seem to be much of a response to my initial
> post so I decided to stir things up a bit ;-).

Never a bad idea. The squeaky wheel and all that.

Until last week, Peter Millard would have been a good person to talk
with since he was server team lead at Jabber Inc. also the main admin
for the jabber.org server (which he transitioned to ejabberd at the end
of February). But I've forwarded your contact info to others at J.Inc
and hopefully they will get back to you. (Note to list admins: please
remove pgmillard's email address from the subscriber list.)

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation