[ejabberd] ejabberd vs Jabber XCP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 5 22:40:19 MSD 2006

Joel Reymont wrote:

> On May 5, 2006, at 6:51 PM, Sander Devrieze wrote:
>
>> jabber.org =! jabber.com:
>
> Dunno, I'm still suspicious. Is there a better marketing move than to
> donate a license to run jabber.org and, again, showcase your goods?

Joel, you need to learn some history about the Jabber/XMPP community.
Some brief points:

1. It all started as an open-source project released into the wild by
Jeremie Miller on January 4, 1999. The jabber.org domain was originally
the location for that server project (the jabberd 0.x and then 1.x
codebase) and Jeremie is still the owner of that domain.

2. Because Jabber technologies use a client-server architecture, the XML
wire protocols used by those technologies have gained more importance
over time. The Jabber Software Foundation (JSF) was founded in 2001 to
manage those protocols in a completely open fashion (thus enabling both
open-source projects and commercial vendors to implement them), and the
JSF inherited the jabber.org domain from the original server project.

3. Because of the open-source heritage of the JSF, we (and I as
Executive Director of the JSF since 2002) have always had a strong
commitment to using open-source software for the messaging and presence
server we run at the jabber.org domain. For 6+ years that was the
jabberd 0.x and then 1.x codebase (for a while with some proprietary
components donated by Jabber Inc.). In February of this year we switched
to ejabberd for the entire deployment (well, we still use the Jabber
User Directory software from Jabber Inc. and we also use the open-source
proxy65 component for file transfer relays).

4. The Jabber community is not about slick marketing moves, it is about
open standards. The fact that Jabber Inc. has paid me to work full-time
over the last 4 years on standardization of the Jabber protocols (cf.
the XMPP RFCs and all the JEPs I've written) is a testament to their
commitment to open standards over slick marketing.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask me personally or on
any of the public mailing lists.

"If you knew your history, you would know where you're coming from."
- --Bob Marley

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre