[ejabberd] How do conference rooms scale?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed May 10 20:00:26 MSD 2006

- From the protocol perspective, I see two main issues.

1. Presence. Large rooms would probably be moderated, else chaos would
ensue (only a few people have voice, everyone else is just part of the
audience). So a MUC implementation should not broadcast room presence
for visitors in a moderated room with many occupants, thus saving a
great deal of stanzas. JEP-0045 does not talk about this yet, but I will
add an implementation note about it.

2. Messaging. Here it would be good to have virtual rooms on different
servers, a.k.a. mirroring. So if the room is "hosted" on muc.jabber.org
it could be "mirrored" on chat.jabber.ru and so on. Any server that has
a lot of users could mirror rooms from across the network. One way to do
this would be for chat.jabber.ru to join muc.jabber.org as a visitor and
set up a local version of the room hosted on muc.jabber.org, then when
people ask to join that room they are seamlessly redirected to the local
version. Thus there is only one message sent from muc.jabber.org to
jabber.ru rather than one message for each occupant who originates from
the jabber.ru domain. However, as noted, we haven't yet worked out the
details of how such service mirroring would work.

Peter