[ejabberd] re-sending presence

Mickael Remond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Tue May 23 19:52:18 MSD 2006

* Wendell Turner <wendell at adsi-m4.com> [2006-05-22 16:33:34 -0400]:

> I'm running jabberd 1.4, but it doesn't do one thing in
> particular that I need, and would like to know if ejabberd will
> do it.  Here is my scenario:
>
>   romeo logs in to montague.com (sets status to online)
>   juliet logs in to capulet.com (sets status to online)
>
> Both montague.com and capulet.com try to establish tcp
> connections to each other, but are unsuccessful (Verona's
> network is down).  When Verona's networks come back up, what
> mechanism in either server causes presence to 'reconnect'?

There is two involved question here:
- Detecting the network is up again:
How do you expect the servers to know that the network is now up again ?
Do you expect the server to poll for the other server until it can
connect to it ?
What if one of the user became offline ? I suppose the server should not
try to reconnect if the users that would need the connection to be up
have became offline.
- Deciding what should be done when the network connection has been
  reestablished.
When a connection that should have been up is restored, what is the
server expected to be doing ? Should he check the status of the user of
all missed presence to resend them ?

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/