[ejabberd] re-sending presence

Wendell Turner wendell at adsi-m4.com
Tue May 23 21:01:12 MSD 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 05:52:18PM +0200, Mickael Remond wrote:
> * Wendell Turner <wendell at adsi-m4.com> [2006-05-22 16:33:34 -0400]:
>
> >   romeo logs in to montague.com (sets status to online)
> >   juliet logs in to capulet.com (sets status to online)
> >
> > Both montague.com and capulet.com try to establish tcp
> > connections to each other, but are unsuccessful (Verona's
> > network is down).  When Verona's networks come back up, what
> > mechanism in either server causes presence to 'reconnect'?
>
> There is two involved question here:
> - Detecting the network is up again:
> How do you expect the servers to know that the network is now up again ?

In my case there is a 'route add' issued to the kernel, but this
is a very specific case.

> Do you expect the server to poll for the other server until it can
> connect to it ?

Could some external indication cause a jabber admin command to
be sent saying 'reprobe all of your contacts'?  Yes, polling
would be bad if it could be avoided.

> What if one of the user became offline ? I suppose the server should not
> try to reconnect if the users that would need the connection to be up
> have became offline.
> - Deciding what should be done when the network connection has been
>   reestablished.

Again, 're-probe all of your contacts' would suffice.

Wendell