[ejabberd] Abnormal Termination on Windows

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Sun Nov 19 19:01:19 MSK 2006

Hello Jeremias,

Le 19 nov. 06 à 02:23, Jeremias a écrit :

> Hi Mickael,
>
> Thanks for your answer. However I didn't understand why you say that a
> process is blocking Erlang. I've performed some additional testings
> without having any firewall enabled and guaranteed that no other
> application was using the ejabberd port but even so I got no luck
> starting ejabberd. Am I missing something? Should I discuss this issue
> on the Erlang mailing list instead?

 From my experience, the problems comes from Windows. It can have
several causes such as:
- An antivirus replacing the socket manager with its own (such as the
old Viguard for example),
- A damaged Winsock.
- A service running in background and causing troubles.

You might be into one of those three cases.

Regarding the damaged Winsock, there is several web site on the
Internet dealing with this Windows annoyance:
- From Microsoft website,
How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption: http://
support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
- http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm