[ejabberd] Concurrent users

Anders Trondheim anders.trondheim at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 24 13:35:58 MSK 2006

Good morning Mickaël,

My question is rethorical and right now, mainly for personal satisfaction
(Even if I intend to try to pitch a solution for content push to my
employer, as we are already using Erlang). For now, my aim is to better
understand the limitations of the operating system and of the Erlang VM, so
the limit I have set in my mind is 1 million users, of which maybe 500,000
are online at the same time. I am hoping to find answers as to what the best
OS to run is, how big the cluster has to be, how machines can be added once
the server has gone live etc, as I know they are questions that will come up
if I try to get ejabberd in.

I am aware of ejabberd systems handling massive number of users. What is
their typical setup? What OS specific flags does one have to fine tune? Any
special flags set on the Erlang VM? On how many nodes is Mnesia replicated
before hitting problems? The systems we have developed so far have not even
gone close to these scalability requierments, where the limits are not the
CPU usage, but the network, port limits, etc.

// Anders Trondheim