[ejabberd] emfile error

Miguel Angel García Blázquez magb at tid.es
Thu Oct 5 17:24:51 MSD 2006

Hello,

We're using ejabberd 1.1.1. All client connections are over SSL, using
the port 5223. So, the port 5222 is down. The OS is debian with
2.6.8-3-686-smp kernel.

When the number of connected users is near 1350, the server crashes. Reason:

=CRASH REPORT==== 5-Oct-2006::11:52:31 ===
   crasher:
     pid: <0.18494.0>
     registered_name: []
     error_info: {{failed,{error,{file_error,
                                      "/var/lib/ejabberd/PREVIOUS.LOG",
                                      emfile}}},
                   [{disk_log,open,1}]}
     initial_call: {disk_log,init,[<0.71.0>,<0.72.0>]}
     ancestors: [disk_log_sup,kernel_safe_sup,kernel_sup,<0.8.0>]
     messages: []
     links: [<0.71.0>]
     dictionary: []
     trap_exit: true
     status: running
     heap_size: 377
     stack_size: 21
     reductions: 163
   neighbours:

In the /etc/default/ejabberd file wich is executed by init script,
before to run the server, the enviroment variable ERL_MAX_PORTS is set
to 4096:

export ERL_MAX_PORTS=4096

And the command ulimit -n is executed:

ulimit -n $ERL_MAX_PORTS

I understand that with these precautions, the number of connections
would have to be near the value of variable ERL_MAX_PORTS, therefore,
so that the server can crash?

Thanks an advance!

Best regards,
--