[ejabberd] s2s and c2s ping/keep-alive and "proper" shutdown

Sergei Golovan sgolovan at nes.ru
Tue Oct 10 08:17:31 MSD 2006

On 10/10/06, Bruce Fitzsimons <Bruce at fitzsimons.org> wrote:
> Peoples,

> I see that some servers sent empty (1 whitespace) packets to force tcp
> connections to either stay open (ack) or die (no ack after re-xmits).
> Also helpful for keeping firewalls alive I guess, but the client can
> manage that. I think I'd do that for any connection that hadn't had
> traffic in <config> seconds.

Sending whitespaces doesn't help much to keep tracking over the TCP
connection. You still rely on TCP timeouts which are quite long
(though not 2 hours as with default keep-alive mechanism).

The only (AFAIK) way to ensure that connection is alive is to send
some packet for which client issue a reply. XMPP doesn't define this
acknowledgment protocol, but it would be much better from the
reliability point of view if all packets were acknowledged in some
way.

--
Sergei Golovan