[ejabberd] Benchmarking problems

Mario Camou R mclistas at tecnoguru.com
Wed Oct 11 22:12:25 MSD 2006

Hi,

Sorry if this message reaches the list twice, I've been having
trouble with my SMTP server.

I'm trying to run some benchmarks using Jabsimul as per the guide at
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/benchmark. I am running ejabberd 1.1.1 on a
CentOS 4.x box (stock kernel 2.6.9) on erlang R11B. I have set a
ulimit of 10000 for ejabberd and 16000 for the shell where I'm
running Jabsimul. A cat on /proc/sys/kernel/file-max gives 25078. I
am using the stock CentOS PostgreSQL 7.4.13 as the Wildfire data
storage and the stock OpenLDAP 2.2.13 for authentication.

I am trying to benchmark 1500 simultaneous connections. Jabsimul goes
up to about 1030-1040 connections (I can't see the exact number
because it changes very rapidly) and then starts getting "Connection
reset by peer" errors. The number of established connections then
continues to go up to about 1240-1250 and then oscillates but with a
general downward trend.

Any ideas what might be going wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,
-Mario.