[ejabberd] Problem integrating with Postgresql

rohit.ranjan at bt.com rohit.ranjan at bt.com
Thu Sep 14 16:02:38 MSD 2006

Hi,

I have followed the steps for using ejabberd(1.1.1) with postgres(8.1) using odbc on windows. I did the following :
1) Postgres setup: Install postgres and create the users and tables as follows. Created user 'ejabberd' and database 'ejabberd'. Setup tables using the script pg.sql

2) Set a system DSN in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Data Sources(ODBC) for postgres

3) Ejabberd configuration changes: In the file Ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg
remove: {auth_method, internal}.
add: {auth_method, odbc}.
     {odbc_server, "DSN={postgres_data_source_name};UID={postgres_user_id};PWD={postgres_user_name}"}
Change :
mod_roster to mod_roster_odbc, mod_vcard to mod_vcard_odbc, mod_offline to mod_offline_odbc, mod_last to mod_last_odbc.

After starting when i try to register and login through exodus, it gives error : "There was an error trying to authenticate you...."
I can see the username and password present in postgres database, which means that it is able to communicate with postgres. Also, if i try to login through my client code using smack, i get an XMPPException with message - SASL Authentication Failed

Did i miss out any steps? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rohit Ranjan.