[ejabberd] MUC bug

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Apr 17 19:36:55 MSD 2007

Magnus Henoch wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> writes:
>
>> In ejabberd 1.1.2 or 1.1.3, MUC rooms do not properly handle
>> invitations. For example if I try to send an invitation:
>>
>> <message to="jdev at conference.jabber.org" id="aba4a" >
>> <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user">
>> <invite to="maineboy at jabber.org" />
>> </x>
>> </message>
>>
>> Then I receive the following error:
>>
>> <message from="jdev at conference.jabber.org" type="error" xml:lang="en"
>> to="stpeter at jabber.org/wrk225" id="aba4a" >
>> <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user">
>> <invite to="maineboy at jabber.org" />
>> </x>
>> <error type="modify" code="406" >
>> <not-acceptable xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
>> <text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas">It is not allowed to
>> send normal messages to the conference</text>
>> </error>
>> </message>
>
> That error message only tells that there was _something_ wrong with
> the invitation, namely one of:
>
> * The room is configured not to allow invites, and the inviter is not
>   admin or owner of the room.  The default room configuration is to
>   not allow invites.

So I see. I have updated the room configuration, but I still receive the
same error message. The error text indicates that the problem is sending
a message of type other than "groupchat" to the room.

> * The invitee JID is malformed.

It's not.

> * The child elements of <x/> do not consist of one <invite/> and
>   nothing else.

That's fine.

> * The <x/> element is not in namespace muc#user.

That's fine.

> * The child elements of <message/> do not consist of one <x/> and
>   nothing else.

That was the problem (I didn't paste the entire message, my bad!). For
some bizarre reason the full XML is:

<message to="jdev at conference.jabber.org" id="aba4a" >
   <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user">
     <invite to="maineboy at jabber.org" />
   </x>
   <x xmlns="jabber:x:data" type="cancel" />     <---------- WTF?
</message>

I've reported the bug to the Psi team. However, it seems to me that the
MUC server is being awfully picky here, no? Whatever happened to "be
liberal in what you accept"? At the least, the error message could be
better (in fact this is a <bad-format/> error).

Thanks!

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre