[ejabberd] MUC bug

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Tue Apr 17 21:27:20 MSD 2007

On 4/17/07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> I've reported the bug to the Psi team. However, it seems to me that the
> MUC server is being awfully picky here, no? Whatever happened to "be
> liberal in what you accept"? At the least, the error message could be
> better (in fact this is a <bad-format/> error).

The "be liberal in what you accept" is what made the WWW world so
ugly. If you do not stick strictly to the protocols, you will create
an environment in which all players have to catch up with implementing
incompatibilities. In short, this means a HUGE entry barrier for new
players. This is the reason why there are only 2 acceptable
open-source web rendering cores compared to a lot more Jabber clients.

@stpeter: Maybe an idea for a simple XEP: all software MUST not try to
interpret protocol errors. Instead it SHOULD give a useful error
message.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.