[ejabberd] external auth_method and file descriptor limits

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 23 20:35:45 MSD 2007

I notice that when using an external authentication script, i.e.

{auth_method, external}.
{extauth_program, "/path/to/authentication/script"}.

ejabberd will spawn an individual instance of the script for each
virtual domain.

This appears to not scale well at all.  Running with around 300 domains
causes the some "libc ... no more files" errors.  I even tried running
with "ulimit -n 10000" in my ejabberd start script.

Additionally, each script will keep a connection open to the
authentication server (ldap, in this case), which also seems unnecessary.

Is there a way to configure ejabberd to only use one external
authentication script for all of the virtual domains?

Jesse