[ejabberd] Improvements in ejabberd start script - this proposal needs review

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 02:18:28 MSD 2007

2007/8/24, Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze at pandora.be>:
> 2007/8/24, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com>:
> >     * Automatic touching of logs, when you delete these files when
> > they are too big, they are automatically created again when you
> > restart
> >
> > Is it needed? I think ejabberd already generates them if not present.
>
> No idea about the current state of ejabberd, but in the past this was
> needed AFAIR. Otherwise I would not have added this feature ;-)

OK, added to the proposed patch. If it is no longer needed, it can be
removed later.

> >     * Verifies permissions and the existence of ejabberd.cfg
> >
> > Not much interesting: make install will already create dirs, seet
> > permissions, etc.
>
> My idea was to make it more foolproof:
> * user accidentially deletes an important file or changes it to
> insecure permissions
> * system accidentially deletes an important file or changes it to
> insecure permissions because of a bug

Those reasons are not convincing for me. If there is a trouble-maker
admin or a buggy system, it's not our task to fix their mistakes.

Do you know this joke?
Computing is a race between the Universe and Engineers.
Engineers trying to develop better idiot proof software,
and the Universe trying to make better idiots.

> ==>more security, no strange bug reports sent to the ejabberd project
> because of stupid errors by this user (the user will get a good
> description of the problem in the error message so he don't have to
> search for what he did wrong).

This argument convinced me: if ejabberd can't work, let's detect it
the sooner the better, and let's report an error message as
explanatory as possible.

In summary, at last I add your file and permission detections to the
proposed patch.

> > > * a configtest option for th script would be nice (see apachectl configtest)
> >
> > Yes. This is tracked here:
> > https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-51
> > Maybe it can be included in a future revision.
>
> Didn't Magnus already wrote something like this? Maybe you can just
> add it as a patch so that it already can be in next ejabberd release?
> If it's not too difficult I think it would be very nice to have this
> because it would make the similarity with apachectl's feature set even
> more complete (important becaus lot's of admins already know how to
> handle Apache ;-) )

Yes, his patch is reported in the bug issue as a possible starting
point. However, it must be adapted to fit into ejabberd.

> Other general remark:
> * Add a man page for ejabberdctl so that people can do "man
> ejabberdctl" I guess this needs to be in GFDL license and you probably
> also can copy-paste stuff from "man apachectl", but Sergei will know
> this better I guess.

OK, I add this to the feature request.

Anyway, I'd be happy if at least half of the features of the current
proposed patch get into ejabberd in time for the next release.