[ejabberd] Connecting thousands of bots under the same user name

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Tue Dec 4 14:25:17 MSK 2007

Hi,

On Dec 4, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> Is it possible to connect thousands of bots under the same user name
> to ejabberd?

Probably, but see below.

> Suppose each bot did something useful when requested but processing a
> request took time. I would like the next person talking to the
> nickname to get "the next bot in line". This would ensure my bot
> service is scalable.

why don't you use an external component instead?

Written properly, you can have several instances connected to the
same ejabberd server, 1 TCP connection per instance, and ejabberd
will load-balance the request amongst them.

There even some load balacing code in ejabberd 1.1.4 and above (look
for domain_balancing in the guide).

I would recommend that you split the "long running task" from the
XMPP part, using some sort of queueing system.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org