[ejabberd] prefer IPv6 for outgoing s2s connections

Andreas andreas at unstable.nl
Mon Dec 10 20:57:17 MSK 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:36:40 -0500, Sean Dilda <sean at duke.edu> wrote:
>> This topic is not described in the ejabberd guide. Looking at the
>> source code that establishes an outgoing S2S connection [1], ejabberd
>> first tries using IPv4. In case of error it tries with IPv6.
>>

> Seems like that logic should be reversed.

I disagree. I think this policy makes perfect sense in a world with so much
IPv4 and so little IPv6 use. It would only slow things down. Eg. when you
read a guide on speeding up Firefox, one of the things mentioned is
*disabling* IPv6...

On a more serious note, quite some IPv6 security flaws have been reported,
and some people advise to simply disable IPv6 entirely (eg. I read this
with regard to OpenBSD).

So as a summary, if 99% uses IPv4, it makes perfect sense to try IPv4
first. Hopefully IPv6 will get more widespread, though...

     Andreas van Cranenburgh