[ejabberd] limited firewall ports

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Thu Feb 22 16:28:46 MSK 2007

Hello,

Le 22 févr. 07 à 13:45, Safford, Brian a écrit :

> My question is this - is there any hope at all of getting the
> connection
> from outside to inside working?

Yes, you need to configure your epmd deamon properly and your firewall.
To do that, you need to use inet_dist_listen_min and
inet_dist_listen_max parameter.

Port used are 4369 + a range of port configurable with the erlang
parameter inet_dist_listen_min and inet_dist_listen_max:
http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200401/msg00147.html

For example, with:
erl -name ejabberd -kernel inet_dist_listen_min 4711 net_dist_listen_max
4711
The distribution only requires two ports 4369 and 4711.

Reference:
https://support.process-one.net/doc/display/MESSENGER/mail/1751

> And my comment is ... why didn't / doesn't epmd work like most other
> super-daemons?  Like sendmail and inetd ... or like wildfire and
> jabberd2 ... :-(

It is a portmapper daemon: You can run tens of thousands of node if
you want with the normal setting and port will be correctly
distributed. By definition, you do not know how many port you will
need (Like the port used by a client for example).

I hope this helps,

--
Mickaël Rémond
  http://www.process-one.net/