[ejabberd] limited firewall ports

Safford, Brian brian.safford at eds.com
Thu Feb 22 23:05:36 MSK 2007

Got it working!  Thanks for the help!

________________________________

	From: ejabberd-bounces at jabber.ru [mailto:ejabberd-bounces at jabber.ru] On Behalf Of Mickaël Rémond
	Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:50 AM
	To: ejabberd at jabber.ru
	Subject: Re: [ejabberd] limited firewall ports

	Hello,

	Le 22 févr. 07 à 15:49, Safford, Brian a écrit :

		I'll try your suggestion.

		I'm a bit confused about your other comment though - sendmail is able to create as many connections as it wants using the same port ... as is wildfire and jabberd2, so I don't understand why erlang does it differently.  I probably am just missing some important information about how this stuff works ...

	Yes, probably.
	If you do not start ejabberd in cluster mode (without the -sname or -name) parameter, ejabberd works exactly like the software you mention. You can accept as many connection as you want per port.

	The thing change when you add clustering: Each cluster node listen to a port to be open to intra cluster communication. As you can have hundreds of node on the same machine and as OS process, they all need to listen on different port, that's why a port mapper is needed. epmd is a process that manage that: It tell you how many Erlang Virtual Machine are started and on which port they are listen on.
	Note that following my suggestion will implicitely limit the number of cluster node you can run on a single machine.

	You are comparing with other software that do no offer those clustering capabilities, that's probably why it seems new to you.

	To get further, you probably need to dig deeper into Erlang clustering mechanisms.

	I hope this helps,

	--
	Mickaël Rémond
	 http://www.process-one.net/