[ejabberd] Roster Manipulation

Mickaël Rémond mickael.remond at process-one.net
Thu Jan 18 21:28:47 MSK 2007

Hello,

Le 16 janv. 07 à 07:25, PsyMonkey a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have developed a gateway form jabber to msn.  This gateway is
> currently
> being used with a ejabberd 1.1.2 server.  I would like to add the
> following
> feature,
>
> If a user registers with the gateway his msn contacts must be
> automatically
> added to his jabber contact list.  Then the same again for if the
> jabber
> user removes the GateWay his msn contacts must be removed form his
> jabber
> contact list.  I have spoken to some ppl who used i think wildfire or
> something like that (another jabber server) and they said that they
> can
> manipulate the roster entries for each user.  Is this possible and
> how?
> Have also read something about rosterx "XEP-144 Roster Item
> Exchange" but it
> is not supported by ejabberd.
>
> The GateWay is a trusted entity.

For your information we have also developed a clustered MSN Gateway,
currently in production on customer sites and an ICQ one might be
started too.

Anyway, regarding improving the interaction between a gateway and a
Jabber server you have several path:
- Hack around the protocol: This is what most of the current gateways
are doing
- Create a module, an extension of the server. You thus have the
right to do everything inside the server. This is the path adopted by
Jive. The drawback of this approach is that you participate to the
fragmentation of the XMPP world, developing component for only one
server. This is the last thing we would like to achieve
see: http://www.process-one.net/en/blogs/article/
from_jabber_to_xmpp_im_standard_convergence/
- The third approach is to make the component protocol evolve to
export a part of the internal server API to outside components. I
think it is probably the best approach as it will end up making the
XMPP protocol more open and more capable.

We are currently gathering use cases on what needs to be possible
from a component: We obviously need to be able to manipulate roster
entries in the behalf of a user.
Jérôme Sautret is working on that, so do not hesitate to share your
most wanted component ability.

Best regards,

--
Mickaël Rémond