[ejabberd] Enabling verbose logging on Debian / Failing S2S with certain servers

Alex Jones alex at weej.com
Tue Jan 23 00:27:38 MSK 2007

Hi Mickaël

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 21:54 +0100, Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Le 22 janv. 07 à 20:12, Alex Jones a écrit :
>
> > Yes, connections to other (working) servers are open, and my SRV
> > records
> > are in place.
>

> Yours are in place, yes but in the link that I send you it explains
> how to set up Erlang to resolv others SRV record. From what I
> understand of your problem, this is the solution.

Sorry, I obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion. I took a look at the
page you linked me, and it turns out that Debian already seem to package
ejabberd with an /etc/ejabberd/inetrc that is exactly as that page
describes. Also, the stock command line used to start it is:

/usr/lib/erlang/erts-5.5.2/bin/beam -- -root /usr/lib/erlang -progname
erl -- -home /var/lib/ejabberd -sname ejabberd -s ejabberd -kernel
inetrc "/etc/ejabberd/inetrc" -ejabberd config
"/etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg" log_path "/var/log/ejabberd/ejabberd.log"
-sasl sasl_error_logger {file,"/var/log/ejabberd/sasl.log"} -mnesia dir
"/var/lib/ejabberd" -noshell -noshell -noinput

So it seems this isn't the problem. Incidentally, my communications with
GMail are absolutely fine.

> > S2S does actually work with some servers. Specifically though, I
> > can't
> > talk to jabber.ru and desrt.ca.
>

> Yes, probably with servers that do not use SRV.

alex at spark:~$ dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.jabber.ru SRV
0 0 5269 jabber.ru.
alex at spark:~$ dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.desrt.ca SRV
10 1 5269 copacetic.desrt.ca.

These both seem to be OK!

> > The problem is that the logging just gives no hints at all. I am
> > using
> > Debian and would rather not mess around trying to recompile the
> > package
> > - is there really no other way to turn on more verbose logging?
>

> As I said, this have been implemented in the SVN version. In this
> version you have to recompile to turn on debugging. In the new version
> the logging is fully dynamic, with a nice logging code that do not
> impact performance when turned off.

Ah, this is good to hear! :) Maybe in absolute desperation I shall have
to grab a copy of that.

So, any other ideas? I recognise that it's a bit of a pain to have to do
my sysadmin for me especially as the Debian packagers are probably doing
their own thing, but it's extremely appreciated.

This is ejabberd 1.1.2, BTW.

Thanks again
--
Alex Jones <alex at weej.com>