[ejabberd] ejabberd login problem

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Fri Jul 27 13:49:42 MSD 2007

2007/7/27, Sergei Golovan <sgolovan at nes.ru>:
<snip>
> As a result, the only reasonable way of installing ejabberd in Linux
> is using a distribution package (binary package in Debian or Ubuntu,
> port in FreeBSD, ebuild in Gentoo, are there other examples?).

Not per se, source code also is reasonable as long as there is a good
erlc binary (or even better: easy to compile erlc). My hoster don't
has erlc installed and I also cannot install packages (of course),
that's why I currently am restricted to the binary installer (although
I would prefer to use source code).

That's also why I made this patch:
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/node/1117

My vision is:
* Make ejabberd *extremely* easy to install and use using source code install
* In this way it will be easier for distributions to include ejabberd
in a userfriendly way
* In this way it will be easier for people that use shared hosting
(like me) to install ejabberd in a userfriendly and stable way.

That's also why I think even minor warnings should be fixed in the
compilation process: if distributors see no warnings at all, they will
be more likely to create a package and maintain this.

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.