[ejabberd] ejabberd sending the wrong <error>?

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Wed Jun 13 15:29:25 MSD 2007

Hi,

I was debugging a situation with XMPP Pings (XEP-0199) and it seems
to me that ejabberd is returning the wrong error code in some
situations.

Take this two examples:

SENT:
<iq to='pedro.melo at sapo.pt' id='s2c2' type='get'>
   <ping xmlns='urn:xmpp:ping'/>
</iq>

RECEIVED:
<iq from="pedro.melo at sapo.pt" type="error" xml:lang="en"
to="pedro.melo at sapo.pt/MrTray" id="s2c2" >
   <ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/>
<error type="cancel" code="503" >
<service-unavailable xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
</error>
</iq>

SENT:
<iq to='sapo.pt' id='s2c1' type='get'>
   <ping xmlns='urn:xmpp:ping'/>
</iq>

RECEIVED:
<iq from="sapo.pt" type="error" xml:lang="en" to="pedro.melo at sapo.pt/
MrTray" id="s2c1" >
   <ping xmlns="urn:xmpp:ping"/>
<error type="cancel" code="501" >
<feature-not-implemented xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
</error>
</iq>

I would say that the second error message should also be <service-
unavailable> to be consistent with rfc 3921, section 11.1.

Just curious of what other people think.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org