[ejabberd] offline presence on server shut down

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:28:22 MSK 2007

Mickaël Rémond emailed me off list indicating that this should not be
happening.  So, I've been doing more testing to figure out why it is
happening.

I recompiled with ejabberd_debug=true.  I can see the normal presence
packets in the ejabberd.log file, but I see no log entries of presence
packets being sent when the server is shutting down.

This install is ejabberd 1.1.4 compiled as 64 bit on Solaris 10 with
clustering enabled.  So, next I tried a less obscure platform for
comparison.  I was also able to simulate the same behavior with my
Ubuntu (fiesty) machine.

Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu at lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.1.2-6
Depends: erlang-base (>= 1:11.b.2-4ubuntu1) | erlang-base-hipe (>=
1:11.b.2-4ubuntu1), erlang-nox (>= 1:11.b.2-4ubuntu1), adduser, openssl,
ucf, debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, libc6 (>= 2.5-0ubuntu1), libexpat1
(>= 1.95.8), libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8c-1), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)

sudo apt-get install ejabberd
change hosts value to the hostname in /etc/ejabberd/ejabberd.cfg
sudo /etc/init.d/ejabberd restart
register new user
add/auth contact in a separate domain
sudo /etc/init.d/ejabberd stop

The local user continues to appear online to the user in the remote
domain after the server is shut down.  The XML console in Psi confirms
that no presence packet was sent to the remote user.

A possible explanation for this (other than a bug with ejabberd) is that
the local Ubuntu server is sending the packets but the remote server
could be dropping the packets.  The remote server I used for testing was
one of my Solaris installs (since my Ubuntu server is limited by a
network firewall, I can't test with another service like jabber.org).  I
can try to set up another Ubuntu install behind the firewall, or
recompile on Ubuntu with ejabberd_debug=true to confirm whether or not
the packets are being generated.

Or, maybe the default configuration has a critical s2s setting left out?

Any other ideas?

Jesse