[ejabberd] helping the OLPC project with ejabberd

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 09:25:01 MSK 2007

Hi Robert,

You are doing really interesting stuff for the OLPC project related to XMPP
and you have really nice documentation in your Wiki. I've been doing sort of
related work and would be interested also hearing answers by the more
experienced ejabberd people to your problems. I think I dare to share my own
experiences in the area.

I've also chosen to implement some extensions to the XMPP service that I'm
working with using the XMPP component protocol, which is in my opinion a
really cool feature in XMPP. I've implemented my stuff in Python using the
pyxmpp (http://pyxmpp.jajcus.net/). It seems to work quite well. I'm also
trying to learn Erlang to be able to do more with ejabberd as well.

Anyways, this is what I've done to solve the problems you mentioned in
question 5. I've written a presence component that I include by default to
every user's roster using mod_shared_roster. This component then stores all
the presence information it receives to a database. Yes, it's a bit of a
hack but so far it has worked well. To get access to the roster of users I
simply use mod_roster_odbc and I can access the roster directly from
PostgreSQL database. Using external database instead of Mnesia probably has
some downfalls as well, but so far I haven't discovered any show stoppers.

I'm very interested hearing about accessing the PEP information from
external components. Would it be possible to make a similar thing as I've
done with presence that the external component is by default subscribed to
some PEP nodes or something?

Regards,

Teemu Harju

Teemu Harju

email/jabber: teemu.harju at gmail.com
blog: http://www.teemuharju.net

~~ "A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows." ~~