[ejabberd] Proposed huge reorganization of ejabberd.cfg.example

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 19:01:18 MSD 2007

2007/9/28, Sergei Golovan <sgolovan at nes.ru>:
> On 9/26/07, Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here is my proposal. I include it here so you can comment any
> > suggestion, quoting the problematic lines. Please compare it with the
> > ejabberd Guide SVN:
> > http://svn.process-one.net/ejabberd/trunk/doc/guide.html
>
> I would make two config examples, one for a single host and one for
> several virtual hosts showing technique for loading different modules,
> using different authentication schemes etc. (using host_config)

I prefer to have only one example config file, at least for now.
Anyway, the ejabberd Guide includes examples of those specific
configurations. And the documentation should be a mandatory reading
when configuring a server, as the Apache config says.

> > % Override the old values stored in the database
>
> Needs an explanation, what are 'local', 'global', 'acls'

Thanks, explanations added.

> > % ejabberd loglevel (0: no log -> 5: debug)
>
> Needs an explanation of levels 1, 2, 3, 4.

Added.

> > %%%   VIRTUAL HOSTS
>
> It's not a 'virtual hosts' section. SERVED HOSTNAMES probably.

Fixed.

> > % Name of your Jabber server:
> > {hosts, ["localhost"]}.
> >
> > % ejabberd can serve several virtual hosts, for example:
> > {hosts, ["example.net", "example.com", "example.org"]}.
>
> I would comment out the second {hosts} line.

Yes, fixed.

> > % If a virtual host is subdomain of another, like for example:
> > % example.net and jabber.example.net
> > % and you want them to work correctly, enable this option:
> > %{route_subdomains, s2s}.
>
> Was there a discussion about validity of these subdomains recently? I
> don't remember the conclusion, but probably this section should be
> removed.

Yes, discussion:
  Subdomain controlled by other server gives routing confusion

The summary is: XMPP disallows delegation. ejabberd by default is
XMPP-conformant. Since some admins may want to bypass this
restriction, this option should still be mentioned.

> > {listen,
> >  [
> >   {5222, ejabberd_c2s, [
> >         {access, c2s},
> >         {shaper, c2s_shaper},
> >         % If TLS is compiled and you installed a certificate,
> >         % put the correct path to your SSL certificate
> >         % and uncomment this line:
> >         %{certfile, "/path/to/ssl.pem"}, starttls,
> >         {max_stanza_size, 65536}
> >   ]},
>
> Too complicated. But using two separate listeners for 5222 may cause
> an error during ejabberd start (if user uncomments both). I don't know
> which is better.

Yes, it's complicated, but I think it's better than having two
separate 5222 tuples.

> >   %{8888, ejabberd_service, [{access, all}, {shaper_rule, fast},
> >   %                         {hosts, ["icq.localhost", "sms.localhost"],
> >   %                          [{password, "secret"}]}]},
>
> There should be more service examples. And it'd be better if they were
> with {ip} option.

I added the ip option. I consider that the ejabberd Guide already have
many example configurations, and having just one in the example config
file is enought.

> > % If SRV lookup fails, then port 5269 is used to communicate with remote server
> > {outgoing_s2s_port, 5269}.
>
> This option MUST be removed from the example. This port isn't for
> change. (It was used by Aleksey when ejabberd couldn't use SRV and he
> run several daemons on a single computer).

Ok, removed.

> > %%%   ================
> > %%%   DATABASE STORAGE
>
> Which database?

The storage database :)
This section is supposed to be a place where admins can put their DB
configs, in case they don't use the internal one.

> > %%%   ===
> > %%%   ACL
>
> What's ACL? Don't use abbreviations in headers.

Fixed.

> One of the FAQ is "how to add two users to an ACL?". This section
> should give an answer to this question.

Ok, I added a short line, and hope it preventively answers the question ;)

> > % For all users except admins used "normal" shaper
> > {access, c2s_shaper, [{none, admin},
> >                       {normal, all}]}.
>
> Shapers section would be better to go before this definition.

Ok, moved.

> > %%%   SHAPERS
>
> TRAFFIC SHAPERS would be better.

Fixed.