[ejabberd] clustering and memory usage

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 23 00:05:04 MSD 2007

I have a couple of questions concerning clustering and memory usage.

Should both cluster notes use the 'extra_db_nodes' option, or should
this only be used on the non-primary node(s)?

I noticed that ejabberd *really* likes to use up memory.  I think part
of my problem is that I'm using 64 bit.  I ran a rather abusive jabsimul
load test against a 2-node cluster with 1000 users connecting to each
node, heavily chatting and adding eachother to their rosters.  I came
back from the weekend and found ejabberd on both servers unresponsive.
The beam processes on both were around 4 GB in size.  Restarting each
server took about 25 minutes to complete.

What can I due to reduce ejabberd's memory usage?

I've been playing around with "-env ERL_FULLSWEEP_AFTER 0", which seems
to help keep the process from growing too much.  Are there any downsides
to this?

Would it help to change some or all of the "disc_copies" mnesia tables
to "disc_only_copies"?  I think that this might help if the roster table
is especially large.

Any other ideas?

Jesse