[ejabberd] Help installing ejabberd

decker phillstgs at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:31:51 MSD 2007

I'm having this very same issue, and I appreciate the help so far.  I've made
the changes you suggest, it's just the last couple steps of the install that
I think I'm still missing...

Christophe Romain-3 wrote:

> This is a problem related to the crypto driver (certainly unable to
> load the provided .so file due to 64bit system) what gives the
> following commands on your 64bit system ?
> uname -m
> uname -s
> anyway, to make it work, you can override the default behavior: keep
> your installed version and launch the post install script by hands:
> edit ejabberdctl
> and replace
> export ARCHDIR
> by
> export ARCHDIR=linux-x86
>
> then launch "ejabberdctl register admin localhost admin" on shell
> prompt....

when I change the above export and then type the ejabberdctl command, I get:

# ./ejabberdctl register admin chatserver admin
RPC failed on the node ejabberd at localhost: {'EXIT',
                                            {badarg,
                                             [{erlang,
                                               port_control,
                                               [stringprep_port,
                                                1,
                                                "chatserver"]},
                                              {stringprep,control,2},
                                              {jlib,nameprep,1},

{ejabberd_auth,auth_modules,1},

{ejabberd_auth,is_user_exists,2},

{ejabberd_auth,try_register,3},
                                              {ejabberd_ctl,process,1},
                                              {rpc,
                                               '-handle_call/3-fun-0-',
                                               5}]}}

The exact steps I'm taking are: as root, launch installer for 1.1.4.  After
the installer has the install error, change the export above in the
ejabberdctl file.  Then run the above command line.

I've also noticed that the ejabberd.cfg file in the /etc/ejabberd directory
is also missing the host name.  I wasn't sure if that's taken into account
with the above instructions or not.

To answer your prior question, my unames are :
#uname -m
x86_64
#uname -a
Linux chatserver 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 25 17:24:31 EDT 2006
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks!