[ejabberd] some ejabberd memory benchmarks

Fabio Forno fabio.forno at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 17:36:26 MSD 2008

Hi,
I'm doing some benchmarks of jabber servers and I've been astonished
about memory occupation of ejabberd, while all other parameters
(latency and throuput) are really fine.
My setup is ejabberd 2.0.1 with mysql backend under linux.  I've
created two sets of users:
1) 30k users with 1-10 (random) contacts each one (10r)
2) 30k users with 1-150 (random) contacts each one (150r)

Roster contacts are spread in a widow of 1000 and 2000 consecutive
users, respectively, so that if I go online with a set of consecutive
users must of each user's roster becomes online.

The testing clients are made with twisted, but I don't think this
influences the test.

Here are the results with 10k users online:

* 10r, login only:                  614MB
* 10r, login and go online:   962 MB
* 150r, login only:                1148MB
* 150r, login and go online: 1940 MB

75 contacts per user in the roster are not a lot, and 1.9 GB of memory
for 10k online users seem too much...
Am I missing some tuning parameters or these are normal figures for
ejabberd installations?

bye
--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.