[ejabberd] Interesting VCard Issue

Adam Hubscher webmaster at x-zen.cx
Tue Aug 26 20:33:56 MSD 2008

Sorry.

When you log in, if you have the VCard set up appropriately, the name
of the user that is displayed by the client can be manipulated to be
more user friendly.

To this end, we want the "Full Name", or the "Display Name" that is
defined within our LDAP service, to be displayed as part of the VCard.

This has been previously done with other services, primarily openfire,
but most of the vcard is handled behind the scenes and I don't have
all of the details as to how it accomplishes it on every client.

At this time with the settings that I have, it works on Adium. It does
not work on Gaim/Pidgin, Psi, or iChat.

In some cases, the information is not even displayed at all by the
other clients. The unusual part of this, is that Adium and Pidgin use
the same back end library. Not sure why they both don't work.

In any case, I can't seem to determine why my vcard setup is not
working in the way that it is supposed to for those clients.