[ejabberd] MOTD for MUC rooms

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 15:27:59 MSD 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:26 PM, James Mandelis <jamesma at gamesys.co.uk> wrote:
> I am aware of this particular XMPP spec as I looked already in the
> documentation. I thought there might be, either an undocumented way, or
> an "appropriate" way to implement/tweak it.
>
> I simply want to be able to set announce messages MOTD per specific chat
> room.
> Chat rooms have already a theme, but I also want to be able set
> different MOTDs for each chat room, as some announcements should be only
> room "interest" specific.

Reading XEP-0045 and ejabberd source code I understood MUC this way:

A room has a permanent 'Room Description', that can only be set by the
room owners. ejabberd implements that recently in SVN trunk, and is
planned for ejabberd 2.1.0. Search for roomdesc in XEP-0045.

A room can also have a 'Room Subject', which is defined in XEP-0045 as
'a temporary discussion topic within a room.' The room subject can be
modified by any occupant. Or if configure so, only room admins. This
is implemented by ejabberd since always :)

For example, there is a room with JID vim at conference.example.org
Such a JID could be for a room about VIM, the Visual Influx Mutant.

To clarify the room general theme, the room owners may set Room Description:
"Vim - general discussion about your favorite text editor"

Once I join the room, I get the current Room Subject:
"Vim 7.2 just released! || Poll: do you use Vimperator?"

> Is there maybe, some kind of special JID addressing I can use to make
> announcements to a specific room?  This way, I might be able to modify
> mod_announce to be chat room specific capable, or use a bot to do it.

Some ideas:
1. mod_disclaimer: http://code.google.com/p/fluidwarns/wiki/HowTo

2. New feature in ejabberd SVN trunk:
The administrators can send a groupchat message to the JID of an
active room, and the message will be shown in the room as a service
message.   https://support.process-one.net/browse/EJAB-645

---
Badlop
ProcessOne