[ejabberd] Memory problems with TLS/SSL

Taylor Laramie taylor.laramie at globalrelay.net
Mon Feb 4 18:58:16 MSK 2008

Has anyone dealt with & resolved issues with TLS(SSL) connections and
memory consumption?
I'm running benchmarks/stress tests on a replacement system for our
current ejabberd server and it seems the choke point when it comes to
max connections comes from the beam process running out of memory
(including swap). While the tests are intended to be more intensive then
our typical usage I've noticed a big difference between handling
encrypted & non-encrypted connections.
For instance on a 4GB server with 2GB swap it will start paging on 5000
connections. On the same system (sans TLS) I can achieve 10000+ without
using half of the memory.
Are there any suggestions or patches for reducing the memory consumption
or is this a known bug?
System Details :
OS : Centos 4.5 x86_64
ejabberd Version : SVN (1.1.4 trunk)