[ejabberd] More virt host woes.

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 22:10:38 MSK 2008

	I apologize in advance for the tone of this message. I'm finding the
architecture of ejabberd exceedingly frustrating at the moment, and
that may spill out into this mail.

	I'm trying to hack ejabberd into something suitable for xmpp hosting
of virtual domains. There are a number of problems with it so far:

	1) No documentation. No comments. No nothing about how stuff works on
the inside. To work with this software you must read the code, and the
code has no comments! None!

	2) The code itself absolutely does not want to do this. To some
extent, I've worked around this by putting in my own module which
reloads the server from ejabberdctl. This only works when I do the
following, in this order:

		* reload config
		* reload modules
		* reload router

	Needless to say, this makes me very uncomfortable. I have full
confidence that even if it works today, it won't at some point in the
future.

	3) And this is a really really big deal: ejabberd starts 10 sql
connections per vhost! Probably the absolute dumbest thing I have ever
seen. This means you /cannot/ use ejabberd to host more than a couple
of domains with odbc authentication (or, indeed, odbc anything). This
completely cripples the software for real use as xmpp hosting.

	I'm at the end of my rope. I'm about to start just gutting ejabberd
and making it not suck for virtual hosting. Has anyone else attempted
this? Any advice on how to proceed? And patches already available that
I can use? Any known gotchyas? Any explanation as to why ejabberd
absolutely does not want to do this as it stands today?

	Thanks,

-bjc