[ejabberd] Git repository?

Magnus Henoch mange at freemail.hu
Thu Feb 7 08:02:06 MSK 2008

Badlop <badlop at gmail.com> writes:

> Do you mean a public Git ejabberd repo that 'mirrors' the existing SVN
> ejabberd repo?

Yes.

> There isn't, and there isn't need for a central Git repository.
> As I understood Git's ideal, each developer has his personal Git repository.

I haven't used Git as a "downstream" system for SVN, but I'm using Arch
as a downstream system for CVS.  In that configuration, it is necessary
to have a common ancestor for branches that are to be merged - e.g. if
developer A wants to merge developer B's changes into her own tree.  I'm
no Git expert (yet), but it might be possible to merge "unrelated" (from
Git's point of view) trees easily…

Anyway, it's unnecessarily duplicated labour to have each developer make
his own SVN→Git copy.

Thus, IMHO someone should publish a Git mirror of the ejabberd SVN
repository, e.g. at repo.or.cz, as a common reference point for ejabberd
hackers.  I might even do it myself, if I find time…

--
Magnus
JID: legoscia at jabber.cd.chalmers.se