[ejabberd] More virt host woes.

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu Feb 7 15:01:22 MSK 2008

Hi,

On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:45 AM, Badlop wrote:

> 2008/2/4, Brian Cully <bcully at gmail.com>:
>>         I'm trying to hack ejabberd into something suitable for
>> xmpp hosting
>> of virtual domains. There are a number of problems with it so far:
>>
>>         2) The code itself absolutely does not want to do this. To
>> some
>>
>>         3) And this is a really really big deal: ejabberd starts
>> 10 sql
>> connections per vhost!
>>
>> Any explanation as to why ejabberd
>> absolutely does not want to do this as it stands today?
>
> After trying Magnus' patch, and digging in the code to check what was
> going on, I concluded that the feature would require many invasive
> changes in the ejabberd core.
>
> So I redirected my interest into learning to use cron to restart
> ejabberd at midnight. That solved my particular problem.
>
> Any explanation as to why you need this feature so much?

If you are a hosting company or an ISP and want to offer XMPP hosting
to your clients then you need to host thousands of domains in a
single ejabberd cluster.

Doing that with current ejabberd is impossible.

Sure, there are only hundreds of potencial clients worldwide, but
they would represent a lot of individual users.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: melo at simplicidade.org