[ejabberd] More virt host woes.

Jérôme Sautret jerome.sautret at process-one.net
Thu Feb 7 18:29:38 MSK 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 3:58 PM, Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Pedro Melo wrote:
> > If you are a hosting company or an ISP and want to offer XMPP hosting
> > to your clients then you need to host thousands of domains in a
> > single ejabberd cluster.
> >
> > Doing that with current ejabberd is impossible.
>
> Obviously you can run multiple domains in a single ejabberd cluster.
> We're running 15 currently.  There are limitations to running many
> domains, but is it really impossible to run thousands?  Maybe it would
> be better for everyone if we stick to addressing the issues, rather than
> declaring the task impossible.

Yes, you can tweak it to increase slightly the number of virtual hosts
it can handle. But it requires quite a lot of changes into the core of
the product to allow ejabberd to handle a really large amount of
virtual hosts. So, actually, I tend to agree that ejabberd is not a
suitable server to do massive virtual hosting.

Jérôme.