[ejabberd] More virt host woes.

Jesse Thompson jesse.thompson at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 7 18:48:24 MSK 2008

Pedro Melo wrote:
>> * You can't add domains without restarting ejabberd.  We schedule
>> restarts during our weekly maintenance window to add new domains.
>
> Thats not an option where I work, sorry.
>
> We choose ejabberd because we want the least downtime possible.
>
> Restart to add a domain, is not an option for us.

Well, we don't like doing it very much either.

>> * You might run into file descriptor limits.  We had to compile
>> erlang/ejabberd as 64-bit to keep from running into a file descriptor
>> limit bug in 32-bit Solaris libc.
>
> fd limit? where? client connections? mysql connections?
>
> I don't see this as a problem right now.

The fd limit we saw had to do with using external authentication scripts
and a bug with 32-bit libc on Solaris.

>> * ODBC/LDAP connections aren't pooled across vhosts.  But you don't
>> need
>> to use ODBC.  We use use an external authentication script (one
>> instance
>> per vhost) that authenticates against LDAP and also has some
>> additional
>> authnz logic specific to our environment.  We use Mnesia for
>> rosters and
>> vcards.
>
> We MySQL/ODBC for everything. With over 2M registered users, It would
> be difficult to keep yet another copy of our user data in MNesia.

You could use an external authentication script to connect to your
database.  Not sure if it would be better, but it might give you more
flexibility in terms of connection pooling.

> Besides we use the user infor and roster info to integrate other
> services, so SQL is a better fit for us.

That's a good point.  We don't have many integration possibilities using
mnesia for vcards and rosters.

Jesse