[ejabberd] Git repository?

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Thu Feb 7 21:37:53 MSK 2008

Hi,

On Feb 7, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Brian Cully wrote:
> On 7-Feb-2008, at 10:11, Pedro Melo wrote:
>> *But* cloning with git from that repo will not setup the proper
>> metadata for pushing back via SVN AFAIK.
>>
>> So setting up a git mirror of the SVN repo could be done with git-
>> svn, but people cloning from this should not expect to be able to
>> git-
>> svn dcommit from their clones.
>>
>> I would love to be proven wrong, though :).
>
> 	I'm fairly certain you are correct. However, for maintainers, you can
> always merge in a branch and dcommit that to the public svn repo. In
> this case the SVN repo would effectively be the "master", and those
> with the ability to dcommit would be the lieutenants in charge of
> pulling changes from git branches and pushing them to SVN via dcommit.

Correct. Just make sure you tell the owner of the branch to delete it
because he will receive his changesets back with different SHA1 IDs.

> 	Of course, this presumes that once people start using git, there will
> be reasons to pull changes this way. You can always use standard diff
> techniques otherwise.

during the discussion of a feature, sending the patches as email
messages to a discussion list is probably the best way, but the final
merge that liutenant would do could probably be made using git-fetch
and git-merge, probably more simple than sending git packs.

> 	I am currently using git-svn to track ejabberd, and would love to be
> able to use a pure-git solution for reasons already mentioned in this
> thread. The big thing git buys me is the ease of tracking my own
> changes on top of ejabberd's various releases, which is fairly
> important for me, as my changes are non-trivial.

+n

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo