[ejabberd] virtual hosting [was] only allow encrypted connections, how?

Brian Cully bcully at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:02:53 MSK 2008

On 19-Feb-2008, at 12:34, Jaco Kroon wrote:
> As for this, has there been any progress towards getting ejabberd to
> the
> point where this is feasible?

	We've had to abandon the meat of the project, as even with a couple
weeks of hacking we were still looking at a host of issues. None
insurmountable, but all costly and at odds to the architecture of
ejabberd itself.

	At some point in the future, we intend to start looking at it again.
In the mean time I've submitted a patch for odbc pooling (EJAB-525). I
also have a set of unsubmitted patches which normalize the config to
support large numbers of domains, which I can mail out on request.

	There are still a number of tasks on top of this, such as reworking
almost all of the modules to use fewer resources via many-to-one
config mapping (accomplished in the unsubmitted patches I've mentioned).

	Personally, my problem has to do with ejabberd's fundamental
architecture, particularly wrt multiple domains. My patches work
around it, but it's almost a damned if you do, damned if you don't
scenario. The changes are so profound that it's probably better to
spend time just reimplementing ejabberd around the concept of
vhosting, rather than trying to support that as well as being able to
over-ride various settings.

	Should a project start or fork from ejabberd that abandons, or at
least greatly reworks, the idea of per-host configuration to be more
resource efficient, I will happily submit my time to it.

	For now, I'm just going to wait until we get our real money-maker out
there before can afford to spend time supporting virtual hosting in
ejabberd.

-bjc