[ejabberd] spammers (was: Re: reject s2s from IP addresses?)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Jan 25 21:47:40 MSK 2008

Jesse Thompson wrote:
> probably off topic...

It is. But it's an interesting topic. :)

> With the introduction of google and now possibly aol (and hopefully
> others) into the XMPP world, should we be anticipating a problem with
> spammers?  Are there (or will there be) any hooks in ejabberd to add in
> s2s spam (or spim, I guess) protection?  Perhaps host blacklists as a start?

We have not seen very much spam or other abusive behavior yet for
various reasons, but we have been thinking about how to prevent for
quite some time. See for example:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0158.html
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0158.html
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0161.html

Per recent discussion on the standards at xmpp.org list, we probably want
to define stream and stanza error conditions for abusive communications
sent between domains. I've got a todo item for that somewhere...

Also, be aware that in 2007 the jabber.org service (which runs ejabberd)
experienced some abusive behavior, and the Process-One team wrote some
patches to help us deal with that. I'd think that the relevant patches
were incorporated into ejabberd 2.0, but Mickael and Christophe can talk
about that.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre