[ejabberd] using PEP to share current location

Simon Tennant simon at imaginator.com
Sun Jul 20 21:26:23 MSD 2008

Vincent BARAT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are doing something similar here at Ubikod: we basically develop a
> social networking application using ejabberd as the core XMPP server and
> Pubsub / PEP to share user location (among other things).
>
> We are more than interested in communicating / standardizing / sharing
> experience around these topics.

I agree that it makes sense to try and standardise these things. I am
very keen to come up with something that works for all and has room for
future expansion.

For lack of any guidelines we thought it sensible to use geoloc,
geoloc-prev and geoloc-next.

> Please can you provide us with a technical and commercial contact (email
> and/or JID) ?

My contact details are on the bottom of this email.  For the sake of
others that may be thinking about mobile XMPP and location, let's try
and keep things on-list.

> Cheers,
>
> PS: Is the ejabberd server support that you publish on  non standard
> nodes like 'http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc-prev' and
> 'http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc-next'?

These nodes work fine.  Although the geoloc-next/prev and not
standardised node names.

The other point to note is that we use <locality> for place tags like:

* Home, Work (place names, but relevent to the user),
* "on the road" (to show the user is in motion) and,
* "Black Bean Coffee" (real place name).

Strictly speaking, the specification calls for <locality> to be a
mappable place.

S.
--

fixed: .uk +44 20 7043 6756          .de +49 89 420 955 854
   mob: .uk +44 78 5335 6047          .de +49 17 8545 0880