[ejabberd] using PEP to share current location

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sun Jul 20 23:27:07 MSD 2008

Simon Tennant wrote:
> Vincent BARAT wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are doing something similar here at Ubikod: we basically develop a
>> social networking application using ejabberd as the core XMPP server and
>> Pubsub / PEP to share user location (among other things).
>>
>> We are more than interested in communicating / standardizing / sharing
>> experience around these topics.
>
> I agree that it makes sense to try and standardise these things. I am
> very keen to come up with something that works for all and has room for
> future expansion.
>
> For lack of any guidelines we thought it sensible to use geoloc,
> geoloc-prev and geoloc-next.

Sorry, I didn't pay close attention to the previous messages in this
thread. Are those strings node IDs or item IDs? I don't see why you
would need prev, "curr", and next with PEP because the node can keep the
history of locations published to the "geoloc" node.

>> Please can you provide us with a technical and commercial contact (email
>> and/or JID) ?
>
> My contact details are on the bottom of this email.  For the sake of
> others that may be thinking about mobile XMPP and location, let's try
> and keep things on-list.
>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> PS: Is the ejabberd server support that you publish on  non standard
>> nodes like 'http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc-prev' and
>> 'http://jabber.org/protocol/geoloc-next'?
>
> These nodes work fine.  Although the geoloc-next/prev and not
> standardised node names.

I don't see why they need to be.

> The other point to note is that we use <locality> for place tags like:
>
> * Home, Work (place names, but relevent to the user),
> * "on the road" (to show the user is in motion) and,
> * "Black Bean Coffee" (real place name).
>
> Strictly speaking, the specification calls for <locality> to be a
> mappable place.

Why don't you use <description/> for that?

/psa