[ejabberd] ejabberd and reliable message delivery

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:23:58 MSD 2008

Hi,
I'm interested in knowing how can I implement reliable message delivery
using ejabberd? I did some experiments with ejabberd 2.0.1 and mod_offline
enabled. I tried sending messages between two clients and disconnected one
clients ethernet cable. It takes naturally some time from the server to
notice that the client has disconnected. The messages sent during this
period did not reach the other client after it became online again. I guess
mod_offline relies on the presence status of the client and hence the
messages don't get stored there. I'm just wondering shouldn't the server
notice that the client has lost the connection when sending a message? Or
how does it work with TCP? And when the server notices the lost connection,
could it store the messages to mod_offline database to be delivered when the
client recovers from the lost connection?

Thanks,

- Teemu

--
Teemu Harju

email/jabber: teemu.harju at gmail.com
blog: http://www.teemuharju.net

~~ "A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows." ~~