[ejabberd] ejabberd and reliable message delivery

Teemu Harju teemu.harju at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:59:27 MSD 2008

Ok, Thanks for clarifying this for me. I kind of assumed that TCP ACKs would
be enough for the server to notice that the message didn't go through. But
thanks... I guess I'll use XEP-0184 then.
- Teemu

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Konstantin Khomoutov <
flatworm at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Teemu Harju wrote:
> > I'm interested in knowing how can I implement reliable message delivery
> > using ejabberd? I did some experiments with ejabberd 2.0.1 and
> mod_offline
> > enabled. I tried sending messages between two clients and disconnected
> one
> > clients ethernet cable. It takes naturally some time from the server to
> > notice that the client has disconnected. The messages sent during this
> > period did not reach the other client after it became online again. I
> guess
> > mod_offline relies on the presence status of the client and hence the
> > messages don't get stored there. I'm just wondering shouldn't the server
> > notice that the client has lost the connection when sending a message? Or
> > how does it work with TCP? And when the server notices the lost
> connection,
> > could it store the messages to mod_offline database to be delivered when
> the
> > client recovers from the lost connection?
> Try to make use of explicit message receipts:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0184.html

Teemu Harju

email/jabber: teemu.harju at gmail.com
blog: http://www.teemuharju.net

~~ "A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows." ~~